Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Adventures in Food


Jamie had his two year check up yesterday. When I told him we were going to the doctor, he said "no Jamie get shoted!" He was wise to the situation. Turns out there was only one shot he was due for that I had agreed to give him, and it could be postponed, so no need to be 'shoted' after all. I did not know this until mid-way through the appointment, however, so I tried to reassure him the best I could.


He had been trying to talk me out of going for the last 24 hours, and I kept insisting that we needed to go but that it would be okay. When we got there he started crying as soon as we rounded the corner into the hallway. He had to be coaxed into both weighing and measuring. He was just waiting for the other shoe to drop. After the MA left, he tried to lift my purse up and head for the door. When that didn't work he took the doctor's stool and baricaded it against the door to prevent her returning.


In the end he did have a little finger prick to check his blood levels, but no shots. I don't think he saw that there was any distinction, though. I bribed him throughout the appointment with promises of ice cream after we left.


As promised, we found an ice cream parlor, and after stearing him away from the bright blue bubble gum flavor, he settled on a nice blackberry cream flavor. He had never had his own ice cream cone befor, and he handled it quite masterfully.


When he grew tired of it, though, it transformed into a hammer, which resulted in the cones quick demise.


Turns out he has an affinity for all sorts of new foods and tools with which to eat them. We had happy hour at Dragonfish on Monday, and he found the sushi and chopsticks quite a fun distraction.


I found the cocktails amusing, myself.


1 comment:

Erin said...

wow, what a smart guy! and that ice cream looks devine! and I think we all need to try happy hour again!