Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Oh My!


Oh my, I think I missed July. So much to share so little time to blog. We have been having such a wonderful summer full of activities and amazing weather. Jamie's language has continued to explode over the last month. He regularly has phone conversations with his friends and relations, as he is not content to let me be the only one on the phone.

The last few days have been spent in bed. The bed, however, has been spending the last few days in the living room. The extreme heat has driven our whole family into the comfort of the living room, equipet with a very small air conditioner. This little engine that could has kept our family cool despite having to close all the doors and seal ourselves into one small living space. We have been trussed up like a chicken around here for a week, suffering the stifeling heat, but at last we are free-or almost.

Jamie sat up in bed on Monday morning, and threw up all over us all. The whole of Monday, and much of Tuesday were spent in bed snuggeling, puking, nursing, reading, and watching Mary Poppins. This is the first time we have had to face the dreaded stomach flu, and I am so greatful that it held off this long. Jamie is able to comunicate his displeasure with his tummy and signal the impending disaster. He has been a little trooper but it has all been too sad for me.

The worst of the tummy pain came with an uninterupted pleading for me to "do something mama" over and over again. I felt so helpless. Tonight he was feeling a little better, though. I made soup and he ate a little of it. He kept leaning over and lifting his shirt and asking his tummy if it wanted more soup, and if it liked the soup. Ha!

The upshot to having a sick kid and the bed in the living room is a lot of cuddle time. I have simply given in to the situation and spent the whole two days in bed with hime rubbing his tummy and kissing his head. It has been bitter sweet for me. I hate to see him in pain, but as he becomes increasingly independent, it is a joy to have him cuddle into my chest and fall asleep.

No comments: