Saturday, August 8, 2009

Picture This


We really have had a beautiful summer. It has gone on forever it seems, until this week. I was complaining a week ago about the stifling heat, but that has given way to a depressing cloud of overcast blah. A good rain storm would be a welcome change from northwest doldrums. But the silver lining of this lingering cloud, is the perfect lighting for the best photos.


Today would have been James Peter Stuart's 65th birthday. One of the very few things that I learned about photography from my dad was the perfect conditions for an outdoor shoot comprise of a bright day with a high cloud bank. That is exactly the conditions we have had here for days.

I think my dad would have been over the moon to shoot James Peter Olive under such ideal conditions, or any conditions. Jamie is a hard subject to get head on, but worth the aggravation when I catch him. I imagine the shots my dad might have gotten of James, or the thin he could have taught me about how to use a camera.



My mom has been telling me that I started sporting a fake smile for the camera when I was around Jamie's age, and sure enough it just appeared. He has started saying cheese while gritting his teeth and smiling. Oh dear, it is too sad. Another sign that the thin varnish of innocence is wearing off. We are all growing and growing older with each day. I like to imagine Jamie with Grandpa Jim, and what he would have been like, at aged 65.

1 comment:

Rydman Rumors said...

I too wish that your Dad could meet your son. This is a really sweet post.