So you will just have to imagine the beautiful shots that I could have taken of His Holiness dressed all in saffron robes with his surprisingly large bicep popping out of his right side, seated in a cherry red arm chair. Next to him was Desmond Tutu with his dark shinny skin and hot pink bishop's frock-it was worth a whole "roll of film".
But I digress.
The event was sponsored by Seeds of Compassion, and the whole event was centered around teaching compassion to our children as a way to save the world. The panelists represented all the major religions and was a good reminder of my most important task, to teach Jamie compassion by first showing it to myself and then to him, and from there how to show compassion to the world.
I tend to think in reverse-as so many of us do-that I should be compassionate to the rest of the world first and work back to my family and myself.
Watching His Holiness and Bishop Tutu, was a highlight. They were like watching to mischievous boys at play teasing and giggling together. Watching joy emanate from them reminded me that being in the moment and present is where happiness lies. It is both easy and difficult to remember that with a baby.
An example.
Watching Jamie's face as he looked around the auditorium first with amazement that all the sounds were, in fact people. I don't think he knew there were that many people, period. And then how his face lit up, when he saw they were all clapping-like him. The world is still a new and wonderful place for him.
For me - not so much. Being a new mother feels like the weight of the world, and in some ways it is. Hearing both Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama say that their most important teacher of compassion had been their mothers, however, filled me with pride that I will have the chance to show Jamie all the love and compassion the world has to offer.
Lets hope I can remember that the next time I'm having a conversation with myself.
Here is a pretty picture so you don't feel sad.







No comments:
Post a Comment